Saturday, December 6, 2008

A Learning Experience

I wanted this to be a better picture.

I was planning on taking a picture of the Chicago Spire-To-Be, which is now just a hole in the ground. I was taking a number of photos when - all of a sudden - something else started creeping into my viewfinder. I hadn't even noticed the barge coming up the Chicago River. Since this isn't an every day occurrence, I decided to shoot what I could and see what I got. I barely fit the whole barge in the picture. You only see the bow section of its tug. I wish I'd focused more on the barge and less on getting the Spire-To-Be and the barge. That's why this picture is called A Learning Experience.

By zooming in, I learned that this barge is the Robert F. Deegan. I "googled" that name and found a web site that reports vessel traffic from the Straits of Mackinac (the stretch of water where Lake Michigan and Lake Huron meet that separates the Upper Peninsula from Lower Michigan). The Robert F. Deegan was up there in early November.

No comments: