Friday, March 20, 2009

Happy Spring

Little bursts of Spring from the Gary Comer Youth Center's Rooftop Garden. In addition to these beautiful irises and crocuses, they have kept oregano, thyme, spinach, lettuce, and mache growing over winter in row covers (which are plastic tents that cover the crop beds, collecting the heat from even the cold wintertime sun). The flowers, fruit, vegetables, and greens get used in the Center's after-school program, are distributed to neighborhood residents and also go to lucky restaurants.
If it has these lovely plants growing now, I can't wait to see what it will be like in the Summer!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I've been so busy lately I had to catch up on my favorite blogs. I love your St. Patty's picture. And, it's always nice to see the buds pushing up from the ground.